Sunday, January 12, 2014

First Race of the Year

Ready, Set, Gggggg…….Just Kidding, Girl Sit Back Down
I know I heard the starting gun go off?!  Right? I made arrangements for the kids, I painstakingly used my indoor trainer due to poor weather and poor trail conditions. I ate my dark greens, protein and carbohydrates. I hydrated the day before. Took my bike to Scott’s Bicycle Center to have it tuned up (not only did they tune it, they also cleaned it for me!), got some spare parts from East Ridge Bicycles. I had my gear bag packed and my dad had graciously volunteered to help me as a pit crew member.  Everything was ready and set in place. But … (you knew there was a “but” coming didn't you)… the race was canceled.
I can’t say if felt physically ready for the race. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise (you see what I did, made the negative into a positive; this is what I want my kids to learn). I now have time to get more training in before the next 3 hour race in 2 weeks. The other bonus is more family time.  The kids have been so good this week and deserve some special time. We headed to my parents’ house in Athens, GA, survived the torrential rains, played Monopoly, Uno, took a walk and went to the movies.
Next week starts a whole new set of challenges for this biker. Not only will I need to let the trails recover from the freeze/thaw conditions and rain from this week, I will also be single parenting as Craig goes on one of his long work trips. I am so glad to have friends that understand the struggles of raising kids with no other family in the same town to help with the daily needs. I also have a great mom who can come up from 3 hours away to help for a few days when needed.  This will be first full week of full on activities since the year started: baseball, boy scouts, daisy scouts, gymnastics, work and somewhere fit in some training for the next race.
Of course this brings on the biggest struggle of why do I work and not stay home with the kids. Oh, yeah, I remember, I am not the stay at home type. That still does not help comfort me when the kids ask why I have to go to work. Or help when I am struggling to get to school before aftercare ends. This is the daily race I am never prepared for. This is the juggling ball that I feel I am always struggling to keep in the air. Yet it is the most important one. So yes, I did hear the race gun go off for the first time this year. Only it was not for the bike race. It was for the start of this year’s mother’s triathlon. Family, Work and Health!


Go home and hug your loved ones. Then don’t let go of their hand and drag them outside! 

No comments:

Post a Comment